Rules of safe travel

Модератор: zlata

Rules of safe travel

Сообщение DARPA » 24 мар 2015, 21:14

Pay with cash only, take care of the Russian sim card as the apple of his eye, and always wear a rain cover - to "documents will not become wet history." Instructions for those who do not want to become a victim of fraud - from a traveler with experience.
As they say grandmother, parents and the TV channel "Russia 24" of travel - a dangerous thing. Judging by the notes in the tabloids, in a foreign country can happen to you a lot of trouble, from memory loss to death from a sudden apocalypse. Each of us have heard some sentimental story about an unexpected problem for many thousands of miles from home. In this post I'll talk about how I'm using simple rules to make their move through the world safer.

I will try to do as much as possible tezisnoy topic and useful, and you add in the comments their know-how and pokritikuete my methods. I am sure that many of the items seem banal, but I think it is better to talk over everything that everyone took for himself what he can not be conceived.

Speaking about the security of independent travel through Asia, I mean protection from theft. Of course that can happen and worse, but in general, the Asian region is calm and even theft - this extraordinary event. Well, karma has not been canceled.

So, can steal or money, or things.

Things

1. Values ​​are always with you. Divide all things into 2 types: conventional and important. Important - it documents, money, jewelry, computer and photographic equipment. Conventional - everything else. Buy for important things convenient and high-quality bag or backpack that can be comfortably worn all day (I have not killed fotoryukzak Kata). Do not buy the cheapest, because your back ache every day will be reminded.

Make it a rule to never give up valuable bag in the luggage (including night buses), and not to leave it anywhere except the houses of friends or guesthouses in which you live more than 2 nights and feel secure. In all other cases carry this backpack with you.

2. Hands-free. Ideally, the usual things lie in a large backpack (I bekpekersky Vaude 70 liters), and important - in a small, if needed, is placed in the large. Thus, if you need to go with all your luggage through the streets, you just put one bag to another, and fun to walk around the city with free hands.

If a large backpack had accumulated a lot of things and there will not fit small, the second you need to put forward. You'll look like the Teletubbies, but his hands will be free again.

3. Locks. Zippered backpack hang valuable combination locks. This is the first help to make sure that no one in the crowd is not sharply unzipped, and secondly to give you confidence that you do not forget to fasten all the branches and the wind blows your dollars into the sky.

Locks can be the cheapest, it's foolproof. If the backpack is stolen, the thieves just cut up a backpack.

4. Control. If you are sitting in a cafe or in another public place, put a backpack so that you can see it and could reach out a hand. If you can not put it on a nearby chair, put a backpack on the floor, but so that the foot to touch him.

5. Cover. Always carry a backpack rain cover to keep your equipment and documents will not become wet history.

Money

1. Cash or card? The difference is simple. Cash profitable, but they are easier to steal. Bank card less favorable (you pay a bunch of fees and change at a lower rate), but safer. Ideally, if you take a portion of the money in cash (30%), and the rest will keep on the map (70%). So you pay less and banks, and protect yourself from being stolen all the money at once.

2. If the stolen card. Restoring credit card abroad - a long and dreary affair, if the class your card is not Gold or Platinum. That is, if the card is stolen, you simply run out of money and will have to borrow or ask relatives to send payment systems.

So you need to make 2 cards of the same bank with the function of internet banking and keep them in different places. In this case, if a card is stolen, then you go to the Internet and easily spill over money from one account to another. Or both cards can be linked to one account.

3. Conversion. If you live for a while in one place (where you feel safe) and leave there a backpack with cash, then count them every night. There were times when not steal the whole pile and pulled out large bills. Therefore tactile pack did not decrease and loss can be understood only in terms.

4. ATMs. Always remove the maximum allowed amount of money from an ATM. Such as Axis Bank in India allows for time to remove 15-20 thousand rupees. So you will save on the commission. Try to shoot in those ATMs which are in separate rooms with a door.

5. Payment card. Try to pay cash and less "shine" data card. That is, pay only obvious reliable shops, restaurants and hotels.

6. Purse. Keep your money and cards in your pocket shorts and a backpack valuable in the department closed code lock. Duplicate card store separately, for example in a large backpack with all things.

7. Simca. Log in to Internet Banking is often tied to the Russian SIM card. Rebind it to a foreign sim card is often simply impossible. So take care of your Russian sim card as the apple of an eye and store it separately or buy it for a cheap phone that will be in the backpack along with the documents. For everyday use of local communication operators. Make sure that the domestic Simca framed in your name, as a last resort to be able to repair it and get the mail.

8. Make legible scans all documents (passport, visa, insurance and so on..) And save it in your mailbox (send a letter to themselves) that if you lose a laptop, they can be downloaded.

These are the main points to keep in mind and which I myself strictly adhere.

For three years I was robbed 2 times. The first theft was not as strange one - in Stockholm, oddly enough 2 - In-room four-star hotel, oddly enough 3 - endured everything. Saved only by the fact that I took a backpack with valuable documents. Fortunately, I had a row with the manager right away and he gave me all the money in exchange for something that I would not write a negative review, and include the name of the hotel in public sources.

The second theft was in India at the Paradise Beach near Goa, when I left the bike at night near deserted beach. While I enjoyed the fire and stars, villains broke the locks on the metal coffer and stole some reason only my sweaty hoodie, taking the more expensive things. India she is)

But with my friends there were also more unpleasant history when stealing large amounts of cash and backpacks with photographic equipment straight from the nose to the cafe.

So do not forget that each of us lives in the collective unconscious of the Soviet people, which must always be vigilant. The enemy does not sleep!
DARPA

Вернуться в HIGHLIGHTS STORIES